Popular Posts

Popular Posts

About

Blogger templates

Sarah is 17


I met Sarah at the set up for a large bridal shower in Beirut. 

Her mom introduced herself, and explained they were early because Sarah's music concervatory was close to where the shower was to happen, and their home was on the other side of town.  As we talked, Sarah bounced up to us, chatting joyfully in Arabic to her mother.

Right away I spotted her beautiful white flower in her long black hair and knew I wanted to get her photo.  I ask her her name, and where she was at in school.  She said her name is Sarah and is a junior in high school.

I asked her to explain the Lebanese school system.  3 languages are regularly spoken in Lebanon; Arabic, French and English.  The country is going through a lot of language transitions, so I wanted to learn about her schooling.

"I go to the English section of our school" she said "So I learn in English and Arabic."  She does take French, but it's not her primary learning language.

"How big is the school?" I asked
Her mom said "It's 1200 students"  I was surprised!  They explained that the school was all ages, and it had a seperate section for learning in French.

How did you decide what language you learned in?  I asked Sarah
"I didn't, my parents decided for me when I was young" she said

I think she was glad they chose English. 

She is a very good guitarist. 
< >

No comments:

Post a Comment