Popular Posts

Popular Posts

About

Blogger templates

Mike the baker


It was my first full day in Lebanon, and I had had a frustrating morning.   But I was determined to enjoy Lebanon.  I saw a bakery, close to where I was staying.  Bakeries always hold wonderful things.  I tentatively entered, unsure as to what to expect in terms of communication. 

I looked around the shop for a while, and the shop keeper came in.  I said something small in English with little response, so I was a bit nervous about the transaction.  I selected a pizza like flat bread, and the man asked me if I was Russian.  I smiled and said no, I am American.

Suddenly, a huge smile broke across his face.  "American?! I've been to America 4 times.  Yes, New York, Los Angeles.  I like America!"
And so we began to talk, and laugh, and talk, and eat.  It was glorious.  His name was Mike, and he thought that a beautiful woman like me should be married.  He gave me some cookies to taste as he served me a plate of the small pastries.  When I went to pay, he grabbed the pizza out of the over and said "This one, you do not pay for, it is from me!  Welcome to Lebanon!"
We cheerfully said our goodbyes, he had made my day.  His smile and laughter I'll carry with me all the way.
< >

No comments:

Post a Comment